Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Prepping for Easter and Why I Blog HAWMC Day 4

Today has been a great day! I slept in and woke up feeling great. I realized this morning that I haven't had even one migraine since starting to eat paleo, this is huge for me since I usually get at least 2 a month! So I was obviously eating SOMETHING that was triggering them! Mini me is on spring break so we took the other girls to school and then headed out to do some shopping, mostly looking, but it was enjoyable. Then we headed out to the library and got a TON of new books to read! I love that my girls are such voracious readers! After that we came home for lunch and played games until it was time to pick everyone else up, notice I didn't say I worked out (yet). When we got home again I finally decided to give up the lazy act and get my workout in, I did the circuit part and got a mile and a little over a quarter of the run portion done until 2 calls from work happened that made me decide I was done. We had a great dinner (if I do say so myself!) of chile verde, asparagus and melon (with tostada shells for the girls).
Tomorrow is early slow run so that I can then go on a field trip to the zoo with my Buggy. I'm excited, I love the zoo, and we're having a guide this time so that is even more exciting to me (putting on my nerd glasses) I love learning new things!!!


When I saw today's prompt I was thrilled! I love stories and I'm excited to talk about me, especially because I think it is time to share about something health related that I don't talk about all that often, I've NEVER talked about it on my blog, it's nothing I have even talked to my mom about (don't freak out when you read this mom!). When I thought about why I blog about my health and eating and running I know that it is mostly to keep me accountable and for the support.
I was never athletic when I was a child, I tried lots of things, but nothing stuck until I started swimming and playing water polo my sophomore year of high school. I really LOVED it! Then I started college and intended to play water polo, but decided I didn't want to deal with practice, I liked staying up all hours of the night and didn't want to deal with spending so much time in the pool, so I quit. Very little exercise, lots of food (including the dining hall Tuesday and Thursday midnight snack bar, which was awesome) and quite a bit of alcohol caused me to gain a good bit of weight in the first couple of months of school. Something clicked over our fall break and I started exercising twice a day and then that wasn't enough, I had a roommate that had food issues and she would binge, I never saw her purge but she was quite thin so I assumed she did. I decided this might be a good way to lose weight, so I ate everything I wanted and then I purged. I got thin quickly and was quite happy. This continued on for quite sometime, I never got skeletal (I got down to about 115, which is quite thin for my 5'5 1/2" body, but not scary). No one really noticed anything odd, or at least they never confronted me. After about 2 years of throwing up pretty regularly I read a book about a girl who died when her heart stopped while purging, it freaked me out so I decided to try to stop. For the most part I did, but I had gotten so used to throwing up when I overate that even now if I overindulge I will most likely throw up, not forcing it to happen, it just does. I have talked to a therapist about my issue and know a lot of what caused me to go that way, but in general I hate talking about it and focusing on it.
In order to be a healthy role model for my girls, to be healthy and live a long life for me (and them and hubs) I decided that exercise is necessary for me. And wanting to run races developed through my exercising. When I started to train for my first half I started to read running blogs and loved what I was getting out of reading other peoples experiences. I decided I wanted to share my journey, hoping to give back to the blogosphere.
My evolving paleo diet is something I am glad to share too, it's great to give my take on what's working for me and to read about what works for others.

I'm still just finding my way to what works for me and I hope you guys are enjoying reading about my journey to the best me I can be, I enjoy sharing it you.

Now tell me, why do you blog?

It’s not too late! And even though Health Activist Writer’s Month is underway – you can still check out the prompts to use any time you may want an idea for your blog. Click here to get for all 30 prompts.

8 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you're able to talk openly about your past now- in sure it's therapeutic in lots of ways. I'm glad you learned how to maintain our weight in a healthy way, you are setting a good example for your girls!

    What zoo are you going too? Fresno perhaps? I'm taking my little ones tomorrow so It would be funny if we ran into each other :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is where we will be! Look for the kids in crazy tie dyed shirts (unless there are lots of them). If I see someone that looks like you I'll be sure to embarass myself!

      Delete
  2. My old roommate was bulimic. She did a couple of in-patient stays to help her with it. So awesome that you are willing to talk about it. And most awesome that you came out the other side :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks XL. It is so common for young women to deal with some sort of eating disorder, it scares me to think I'm raising 4 of them!!

      Delete
  3. Ok…this hurts my heart. I am sorry that I never pushed for an answer…I knew some of the trials that you were going through that first year of college – I knew that you were exercising & working on losing the weight…but didn’t know you were making yourself throw up. I feel like The Worst Mom ever. There are so many issues in every family and I know we had our share and maybe more than our share some days – and for the most part I think we have survived and overcome most of the darkness. But I failed and continue to fail and feel regret & crushing sadness for not being a better Mommy. I know there are things that have not been discussed still - but maybe it is time?? You have grown into an awesome women and You are a great Mommy to your beauties and make me proud everyday. I love you Punkin ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to feel bad at all mom. I would have been more than mad at you if you had tried to talk to me about it and would have totally denied it. No need to feel sad, the issue was mine not yours silly mama! We have come out the other side and I am stronger for having gotten through it. I don't really dwell on it at all, I just wanted to put it out there in case anyone who reads my little blog had similar issues they were dealing with.

      Delete
  4. Ok, so *tear* when I read your post, then *double tear* when I read your mother's comment! I'm glad you were able to turn your life around and "become a mother runner", for your sake, and for ours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chicken! I'm feeling pretty positive! I'm not much for talking about the bad stuff, I'd rather just ignore it, but I thought I'd get this one out there (and I'll probably never mention it again)!!

      Delete